Skip to main content

How To Reply To A Newspaper Employment Advertisement

How To Reply To A Newspaper Employment Advertisement

  1. Submit your resume with a formal cover letter (see below).
  2. Call to confirm resume and cover letter was received by Hiring Manager.
  3. Request to meet to discuss positions qualifications and requirements (hint: you have set your own interview appointment) Congratulations! Good Luck.
See Sample Covers For Newspaper Advertisements

 Sample #1

178 Green Street
New Haven, CT 06520
(203) 555-5555

December 22, 20--

Pat Cummings
District Supervisor
Any Corporation
1140 Main Street
Jacksonville, FL 32231

Dear Ms. Cummings:
In response to your advertisement for a Store Manager in the December 15 edition of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, I am forwarding my resume. As detailed below, my experience qualifies me for the position.
You require:
  Managerial experience
  Superior written and verbal skills
  Budget management abilities
I offer:
  Five years as senior manager in a chain bookstore with an annual volume in excess of $2 million. Ability to manage inventory, personnel, cash flow.
  Accreditation as a high school teacher. Recognition for “Where We’re At,” a lighthearted historical essay.
  At University Towers, decreased outstanding rents by $5,000. Reorganized Sturtevant’s retail promotions, effecting a 50 percent budget reduction.
May we discuss how I may contribute to your organization? I am available at your convenience to discuss employment opportunities, and the possibility of relocation.
Thank you for reviewing my credentials. I look forward to our initial conversation.

Sincerely,

Chris Smith

Enc. Resume

Sample #2

To:          patcummings@anyfirm.com
From:     chrissmith@jobsearch.com
Subj:      Job #45678
Dear Ms. Cummings:
This is in response to your posting for an Advertising Account Executive (Job #45678), which recently appeared at monster.com. I am a seasoned advertising professional with more than eight years of experience in creative development, account supervision, and new account development and sales. Most recently, as the primary liaison between three key accounts and the creative team at a midsized advertising agency in Madison, Wisconsin, I have repeatedly demonstrated my ability to manage multiple priorities in a deadline-sensitive environment. 

The details of my educational background and professional experience are spelled out in my resume which, per your request, I have pasted below. I would welcome the opportunity to meet with you personally to discuss my qualifications and how I might put them to work for your clients. I look forward to hearing from you soon.


Sincerely,

Chris Smith

178 Green Street
Madison, WI 53703
(608) 555-555
chrissmith@jobsearch.com

(Note: ASCII version of resume would be pasted here)


  Detroit Job Fair - February 28, Over 500 Jobs. 

Dearborn-Doubletree Hotel 5801 Southfield Service Drive, Detroit, MI from 9m-3pm. Submit Resume Interviewing Now at Click Here